Weekly Blog Posts 1

• What does it mean to network using social media?

Personal Learning Network is where you gather, collect, communicate, create and also share knowledge and experience with a group of connected people (Gutierrez, Karla, 2016). Some of the social media that we use are Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and blogs. There are all different ways of helping us get connected. And also grow our knowledge base and also develop ourselves professionally through continual learning. Social media is about conversations, community, and also connect with other people. Networking using social media can also let people learn from other people. They can all get connected over the Internet. Personal Learning Network makes the network possible by connection building, connection maintenance, and connection activation (Gutierrez, Karla, 2016). Personal Learning Network is also something that helps our lives and also becomes a tool. Due to this pandemic, people use social media to communicate.

•  How are we motivated to participate in networked publics?

People are motivated to participate in networked publics in different ways. Networks allow you to find appropriate, constant support then the need arises (Rajagopal, Kamakshi, et al. 2011). and networks are vital in innovation and crucial in linking to new trusted partners when dealing with changing business priorities(Rajagopal, Kamakshi, et al. 2011). When we participate in networked publics. it can provide various of the information and also telling us new sources. Networking can also let people communicate with each other and share similar interests. It can also maintain connecting and activating connecting with different people for learning (Rajagopal, Kamakshi, et al. 2011). Networks can be intentionally built, created, and maintained as resources for learning and working (Rajagopal, Kamakshi, et al. 2011). It is more convenient for people to learn from each other and also connected using public networks. Especially useful for long term communication.

• What are the risks & rewards of public communications?

As we all know that privacy is important to everyone. Computer systems are designed to give individuals control over their “personal” data and might influence people’s privacy. One of the risk communications on the network can be discussed as people exchange real-life information and experience. Both social media and networked culture are the challenges of networked privacy (Boyd, Danah. 2012). Risk communication also plays an important role in helping organizations apply the concepts of management. What’s more, private information might be leak when we use public communications. On the other hand, the reward of public communication can be people get connected. They learn more experience and can share their different stories. From the individual’s perspective, it will help support the growth of a career and it will allow us to find more support (Rajagopal, Kamakshi, et al. 2011).  As long as we know the risks and rewards of public communications, public communication is very useful in our lives.

Gutierrez, Karla. What Are Personal Learning Networks? 21 June 2016, www.shiftelearning.com/blog/personal-learning-networks.

Rajagopal, Kamakshi, et al. “Understanding personal learning networks: Their structure, content and the networking skills needed to optimally use them.”

Boyd, Danah. “Networked Privacy.” Surveillance & Society, 12 Dec. 2012, ojs.library.queensu.ca/index.php/surveillance-and-society/article/view/networked.

1. japaneseteacher

Hi Yanli Xu! Great first post on Personalized Learning Network! You described what it means to network using social media very well, and I liked how you mentioned the effect of pandemic on our use of social media. I read your introduction post as well, and found out you are from Beijing China. I am also an International student (from Japan), so when I want information, news, or trends in Japan, I heavily rely on social media to keep myself in the loop as well as staying connected with my family while I am in Canada.
    You mentioned the risk of personal information leaking in public in your post. This type of risk is very common in my home country, Japan, especially when people try to connect to free wifi in public. Back when phone data used to be more expensive and less affordable, I remember people carrying around their own wifi router so that they can connect to the safe and reliable internet service that they own instead of giving our email address or phone number, etc. to the unknown source to get free wifi for a limited amount of time because we are desperate. Especially now that wallet free payment such as apple pay where you put your bank information on your phone has become more common, I agree that it is very important for people to be aware of the risk they are taking in exchange for convenience.

• yanlixu

Hello, Thanks for your comment. It is true that social media is so important as when are in this situations. I am also relying on social media to connected with my family in China. We can tell how important it is! Hope everything will become better.

2. zongyujia

Hello Yanli Xu! Congratulations on your first blog entry, it is impressive. I agree that in order for learners to maximize the potential of public communication, they need to be aware of its risks and rewards. Being aware of risks will help users to responsibly engage in public communications. Knowing its rewards on the other hand, will motivate them to utilize public communications to improve their communication and critical thinking skills.

• yanlixu

Hello zongyujia , thanks for your comment. We always think about the risks and rewards when we make any decision! And I also agree with your by motivate to utilize public communications can improve our skills.